Re: [Amc-list] Need some engine paint

Bruce,

Most cleaners leave a slimy residue (sometimes oil based) that has to
come off after cleaning. I've grown to like the purple cleaners (such as
Purple Power Advance Auto Parts carries). Full strength will remove
paint but cutting it slightly with water will clean the goo without
stripping paint. Once you're done with the heavy cleaning, follow up
with brake parts cleaner. It will leave you with a clean, dry surface
that paint will stick to.

The notes I have say your engine was Lancelot Turquoise Poly (Ditzler
12828) originally. You can usually tell on an engine that hasn't been
rebuilt by looking under accessory brackets. Gentle cleaning will also
tell you a lot since quicky repaints generally don't stick as well as
the factory paint (this is usually a prep issue).

Matt

On 7/30/2008 4:36 PM, Bruce Griffis spouted this sage advice:
> Okay - the head is off and getting worked on. Lots of little fiddly
> bits are off and labeled. Got a snazzy exhaust manifold (looks new!).
> So, think it's time to degrease and paint!
>
> What's the deal? Pop on the head (when I get it), spray with
> degreaser, clean off, then tape off parts not needing paint and spray
> it? The valve cover and air cleaner look to be a different color than
> the block. Or is it just the difference in material(cast iron versus
> whatever). Do I paint my nice snazzy new water pump? Does the intake
> manifold get painted, or do I want that bright(ish)?
>
> I'm guessing I want to pop the head back on first, before painting -
> so I don't get anything on the top of the block.
>
> Oh yeah, it's a '65 195.6OHV 6.

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com