Re: [Amc-list] Howell TBI in a 63 Classic...

Re: [Amc-list] Howell TBI in a 63 Classic...

re: fan thermostats

I think the "best" solution is a microprocessor that looks at the
factory temperature sensor and Does the Right Thing. I even wrote the
code for an Arduino ($39) board. Never got around to trying it out.

It could anticipate warmup, PWM speed control the fan, do 5 min cooldown
after turn off but only if hot enough, etc. Histerysis, proportional
speed, etc.

It even self-calibrates; the factory temp sensors are all over the place
so it's necessary. From a cold engine, you enter CALIBRATE mode with a
switch, then:

When temp reaches rated thermostat temp (you look at the guage, use a
thermometer, etc) you press the CAL switch. That's the low set point.

When temp reaches maximum desired operating (you again) press the switch
a second time. That's the hot setpoint.

It then proportionally controls the fan within that range.

Too many projects.