Re: [Amc-list] Off with his head! - It's at the machine shop!!!!

Bruce Griffis wrote:

 > I did mess up in
> taking off the head and did not lift it directly up - I slid it just a
> bit - and now have junk in the cylinders. So - to clean 'em out - use
> a shop vac? Beg and borrow a compressor and airgun? What's the best
> way to make sure you have absolutely no junk in the cylinders?

Eh. Though Smokey Yunick said 'no engine ever died from being too clean'
I wouldn't freak out if the junk that fell in is largely combustion
byproducts. Metal and sand, OK worry more. A bit of carbon isn't that
abrasive and will get pumped out.

Compressed air may drive it in. Shop vac with a small hose will get 99%
of it out.

> Also - since I'm seeing carbon buildup on the studs, I'm guessing I
> need to clean out the holes they go in. Should I run a tap through
> them? Would a tap clean out the junk, or should I use something else?

I run a tap through all holes always, and often a die down bolts and
studs, then use the right lube or a high-temp anti-seize. It never
hurts, and usually helps. Crud will prevent torque wrenches from working
right, readings will be all off. Maintenance is easier. All my exhaust
nuts and studs just come out and never break. (I use relatively
expensive nickel antiseize on everything, Permatex?, an 8oz jar has
lasted a few years now.

When I built my 232 I actually made a little clean room from plastic
sheet. Washed the parts in soap and water, washed my hands, clean
clothes, clean tools, clean oil, assembled the bottom end all in one
shot and got it sealed up. Changed the synth oil religiously and 20
years later, still 15 - 20 psi oil pressure at idle and zero cylinder
scoring.