Re: [Amc-list] Off with his head! - It's at the machine shop!!!!

Re: [Amc-list] Off with his head! - It's at the machine shop!!!!

Hooray! The head is off and at the machine shop! The one stud that
didn't want to come out was up high enough it was just in the head,
not in the block. Tommy Goza (Goza machine shop) got it out with an
air tool. Just carbon buildup was keeping it stuck. The heater control
valve and assembly came right off - I just didn't "convince" it
enough. I left the broken exhaust manifold stud in, the shop will pull
it.

So - at first look the machine shop owner said it didn't appear to
have anything wrong with it at all. Looked in great shape, and
whatever white smoke I was seeing was probably from a blown head
gasket. My fingers are crossed.

At first glance the cylinders looked nice - I need to take out the
calipers to measure and take a much closer look. I did mess up in
taking off the head and did not lift it directly up - I slid it just a
bit - and now have junk in the cylinders. So - to clean 'em out - use
a shop vac? Beg and borrow a compressor and airgun? What's the best
way to make sure you have absolutely no junk in the cylinders?

Since the block is pretty bare, I think I'll order some engine paint,
degrease it and touch it up. Hopefully I won't have it this bare
again! (And it's a pretty good time to rebuild that carb, too. The
carb is on a plastic bag with my other stuff, rebuild kit is next to
it - and a bucket of carb cleaner just so happens to be nearby. Funny
how it worked out that way!)

Also - since I'm seeing carbon buildup on the studs, I'm guessing I
need to clean out the holes they go in. Should I run a tap through
them? Would a tap clean out the junk, or should I use something else?