Re: [Amc-list] cid calculations?

d stohler wrote:
> i forgot the formula to calculate displacement. just wondering what cid would be for the 196 bored .080.

It's easy:

Calculate the area of the piston hole:

	radius * radius * 3.14159 (pi)

Volume is just area times the hole depth:

	volume= area * stroke

radius is 1.6025 (bore 3.125 + .080 / 2)

area is 8.067 (1.6025 * 1.6025 * 3.14159)

volume is 34.28 per cyl
times 6 is 205.72 cu in

> how much can i shave off of the head and be ok still?

Who knows? Put some clay on the pistons (kids plasticine) and turn it
over slowly and see how thick it squashes to. Don't bang the parts
together :-)

It's hard to imagine that the water is very close to the top of the
head. There seems to be a lot of adjustment in the lifters.

Personally I'd just take enough metal off the head and block so it seals
well! And crank the sh*t out of the ignition timing. That'll be worth
more than a piddly amount of compression and will cost nothing (one
drilled hole).

The 2bl carb, and put the biggest exhaust pipe on it you can fit, and a
Pertronix and good coil.

Frank had a cam ground, and I think he said it made for some mid-to-high
RPM improvements ("high rpm" a relative thing on this motor :-) But a
small turbo would be the thing to make power with this motor, it's so
overbuilt and undertuned it would probably be easy to double the HP if
you could make the driveline take it. The little air-cooled automatic
has held up fine behind my 232 in a Classic wagon, it's hard to believe
it wouldn't be OK in a light car with 150 hp or even more.

It's hard to imagine squeezing more than 150 out of it without some
substantial, expensive changes. Turbo has got to be the cheapest ...