[Amc-list] 195.6 OHV ignition timing

I got my hacked distributor in there and it works great. I squeezed
about 20 degrees centrifugal advance out of it (stock is 11). ALl it
took was drilling out one hole (greater advance) and grinding a bit off
the weight tips, so that they would retract more (greater "retard" at
zero rpm).

I've got it set to 12 - 14 degrees static, or 32 - 34 degrees total
spark advance. I think the motor would be happy with 36 - 38, but the
Delco won't do that easily.

Someone on the Inliners forum suggested fixing the Delco for ZERO
advance and using a Megasquirt box to totally control spark advance! It
has a vacuum-measuring port, and needs a connection to the coil to
measure RPM. The walls are closing in... I can avoid Megasquirt no
longer. Now it's just a matter of money and time...

WHY! is this motor set for so little spark advance? Clearly the geometry
hasn't changed. Is it due to modern fuel changes? Or some sort of lazy,
over-conservative "set and forget" mentality, like who cares, make it
never ping, so that Grandma won't get upset?

Mileage didn't go up as much as I thought (the 24mpg was a two-fillup
fluke) but it never dips below 21 mpg now, and it's a lot peppier around
town.