Re: [Amc-list] 232 combustion chamber

Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Part of the ping problem is likely the fact that there is zip quench on the old open chamber heads.
> No turbulence on the outer areas so things get hotter.
> Though as near as I can tell even the newer heads on the 4.0s don't lend well to not pinging when they get above 9-1.

 > I'd be curious to know if that old open chamber head area is
 > larger than the bore?

Not sure what you mean here -- do you mean, the actual surface area, in
square inches, of the combustion chamber head surface, vs. the area of
the top of the piston?

THe chamber IS larger; the the area of the flat-top pistons is simply pi
* r * r. The chamber has the same radius, but stretched out over the
walls and ceiling.

> Oilpan leak?

Eh, just seepy, nothing serious. Just old. I ain't pulling the motor to
fix it!

>   I'm happy with mine after using the right stuff on the rear cover.

I will use it on the valve cover. All my valve covers leak! This motor I
used a cork gasket and old-fashioned sealer and it all turned to crunchy
stuff. Stupid. Since there's no reason to remove this cover ever I'll
get it flat spotless and roughed up and glue the sucker down with Right
Stuff, no gasket.

>    If I can ever get to the point of taking a new project it will be a small, 64-65 American with a 4.0L and manual trans.
> skinny tires. A true daily driver for summer use. That 28 mpg would be sweet in something I didn't mind leaving in a parking lot! Would love to use a chrysler O/D from a 70's car hooked to the column shifter. Way cool.
>   4 dr or a wagon.

That would be sweet! The 64 has a metal dash, right? I'll never buy a
plastic dash car again. I hate them.