Re: [Amc-list] cheap brake conversion

d stohler wrote:
> brake lines also. the mustang calipers have banjo fittings. the amazing thing.... MUSTANG CALIPER RUBBER BRAKE LINES BOLT RIGHT UP TO THE STOCK RAMBLER STEEL LINES!!!!!!
>
> i think that was all i did.

OK, that's pretty good. Then the only questions are around the make up
adapter.

> yes i know, my brackets are rough looking. at the time i made them, only had a torch to use. no big enough drill bits or drill press. i got it "finessed" a lot more than that before i put it in. if people wanted, i can make more. i would go get the right drill bits for it. now that i have a 1/2" drill to use. im not sure how i go about doing the center hole for the spindle however.

Yeah, that's not a problem for future brackets. But --

> only had to bend the plates out maybe 1/16" or so. otherwise it was centered on the rotor just about perfect.

-- not sure what you mean here? So the caliper assembly (brackets,
caliper, etc) didn't center properly on the rotor? If so, did the
caliber need to move towards the car or away from the car? By 1/16"?

Can you photo that?

If it's that small, a flat plate with holes could be flycut on one or
two sides to make the offset, or someone with production equipment could
stamp it offset.

> just machined down the outter edge of the drum hub to fit the rotor over.

Yeah, that's not a big deal since that dimension isn't mission-critical.

> i am thinking about doing this with my new american also. i have to space the spindles out far enough for the rotor to clear the steering arm.

I was gonna see if my 10" drums would fit on the front of the 63
American if I simply spaced them out far enough. But it looks like it
needs 1/2" - 3/4" to work, so that makes me a bit leery of strength and
geometry. I was gonna mock it up with washers to get the measurements
(not to drive on!)

But hey, you go first, I'm lazy!

> o ya, the only thing im missing with my kit is the backing plate/dust shield, what ever you want to call it. i havent had any problems with it as i dont drive in mud and all. i dont think shields would be hard to fab up to fit on there.

Yeah, I was wonderign about that. It's not fatal.