Re: [Amc-list] Completely OT: wireless networks

Re: [Amc-list] Completely OT: wireless networks

" From: "Bruce Griffis" <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" []
"
" Still, I enabled security and am considering supressing
" ssid broadcast.

what do you mean by 'enabling security'?  in my book, this would
involve:
1. disabling ssid broadcast
2. changing ssid from default
3. enabling link encryption, with a shared passphrase
4. set notebooks to talk only with wireless access points
   ['infrastructure'].
5. putting your family notebook mac addresses on the pass list
6. blocking everything else
7. some wireless routers allow you to block clients from talking
   directly to each other - eg. notebook 1 snooping files on notebook
   2.

i'll concede that not all are always possible, but this is in rough
order of doability without affecting 'normal' usage.

i'll also admit to being slightly paranoid here.  the worst thing your
interloper could've done was commit an e-crime, which would've been
traced to -you-.

" I guess if I were to check the logs, I'd find myself
" spending too much time discussing AMCs!

btdt, got the t-shirt...	;^/