Re: [Amc-list] Piston coatings

Back in the day, when I was racing formula fords, for engine coolant we used
water (distilled) and water pump lube with maybe a tad bit of antifreeze in
the coolant. I never had any overheating problems, and had to tape over
radiator openings just to get the heat in the engine. antifreeze is just
exactly that, and it actually lessens the coolant systems efficiency. We all
use it for the freeze protection and it does help the boil over protection
too, but it's less efficient at transferring heat.

To get the oily crap out of your cooling system go to your local Home Depot
or something and get some Tri-Sodium Phosphate. I believe it is alkaline in
nature and a caustic. Slowly mix in about a cup or two of the stuff in a
sufficient amount of fresh water. Usually three gallons or so will do it.
With your engine cold, drain everything and put the caustic solution in the
coolant system. Top off the system as if you were putting in fresh coolant
and then go for a half hour to an hour drive. Then let her cool down a bit
and drain the stuff out. Dispose of properly. Rinse with fresh water like
you were back-flushing the system. Remember when we used to put those
back-flush connections into the heater hose?  This should remove all the
oily stuff and some other gunky stuff too. I was taught this method by one
of my former employees who used it to clean hot water heating systems and
boilers after we'd installed them. It would remove all the oily leftovers
from the manufacturing process and not hurt the seals in the pumps and
things.

Armand