Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:23:50 -0700
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] I hate when that happens...
To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans." <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Roger Blake wrote:
> While swapping out the windshield wiper motor in my Eagle, of course the
> linkage clip flew off to parts unknown. Anyone have a source for these
> (generic, brand X, whatever)? Will a standard "C" clip that fits the
> shaft hold well enough to keep the linkage together?

This happens all the time! They're probably hiding with all the single
socks and pen caps without pens.

It's a PITA location even for a C clip. In a pinch, I've used a plain
flat washer. Find one that just fits over the shaft. Cut out a pie
section so it looks like a big "C". Put it in place over the groove and
squeeze slightly with channelocks. It's a fairly sloppy circlip and has
enough width to later grab with pliers to remove.