--------------------
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 20:04:44 -0700
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

Frank Swygert wrote:

> > Look at the intake ports again! The first and last are "alone", but 2-3 and 4-5 are siamesed. Valves are arranged I-E-E-I-I-E-E-I-I-E-E-I. All ports with the same valve next to them are siamsed together. You can't cut deep enough to separate the ports without cutting into the water jacket.

It's hard to describe, but the I I ports aren't *quite* siamesed; the
port walls come to a triangular point (at least on this head). It's moot
though. Even if you sawed and milled off the trough (SHUDDER) you'd end
up with at best a 1/8" - 1/4" flat between adjacent intakes.

EFI would solve it all.

But not thinking about that now, on this car, at this time. First, the
Howell on the Classic...

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"