Re: [Amc-list] will a spirit 4cyl rear fit my eagle?

Not only is the Spirit rear narrower, but the spring seats are under the axle instead of on top of it. But a Jeep Cherokee will bolt right in with only one mod -- cutting one of the shock mounts loose and welding it on the other side of the axle. Hmmm... the Eagle shock might bolt up without modding the mount, shocks will just no longer be staggered. 4.0L auto Cherokee has the same gear ratio too -- 3.54 (or 3.55 -- depends on how you round up, but it's the same exact ratio nonetheless).

----------------
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:40:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)

" From: "Eddie Stakes" <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I saw this online and thought I woudl ask if a 4cyl 4spd Spirit end to end
" rear end would fit my 81 Eagle, which is still sitting at the mechainc's
" shop going on 3 months now, sure would like to get it back on road! Thanks
" for any replies.
"
"

no.

eagle rears are wider because of the deep-offset wheels they use.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"