Re: [Amc-list] '71 DJ point of interest

The crankshaft has a pilot bearing in it and the converter has a skinny pilot on it like an AW4 (I was ticked because I couldn't find my camera. I thought someone may have swiped it, but it was right where I looked before I left home and couldn't see it!) Cast iron Warner with a fixed yoke output (like a 1 ton truck) Flexplate looked strange too, but it's a Warner trans. I plan to compare the bell to an AW4 one (sort of reminds me of an HD C4 bell like the one I had in my '75 E150 Van with 300 six. I swapped in a lightduty bell and 170 motor which was perfect for the jobs I used the van for)
   My DJ is RH drive (typical postal), but my son's is LH drive like normal cars. (I was looking at the mounting plates to see about swapping my rig over) I believe the trans is an M-11. It has 1-11 on top cast in. I took pics with my cell phone, but can't download them (time for a new phone) I have to send them to my email (when ATT's service isn't in net failure mode every 60 seconds here)

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] '71 DJ point of interest
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
" From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx
"
" O.K. if that has a passenger starter and a BORG tranny, something is just plain weird...
" Details please when you get into it to see what it realy is.
" I've never heard of a Borg with a passenger starter on an AMC 6.

well this is a dj - which side is the psgr side...?

"  Not saying the postal service did not have a bell cast up to continue using the borg tranny when AMC quit!
" it would be a pretty simple thing for a foundry to make up if the dimensions were known!

not necessary!  they could use the existing '67-'71 290/304 m40 bell,
and even flexplate by deleting the balance weight.

one run of early-'70s djs had m11s.  on a late six they could use v8
bells and flexplates as above; on a '64-'71 six they could use pre-m35
196 bells and flexplates.  '69-'71 internationals also ran 232s with
m11s.

" Would be very interesting if all this time there was a bell that would bolt a new engine to an old Borg trans!
" I would be very surprised if it actually exists though!

boo!    ;^>

-i- would be surprised if there was a bell that went the other way -
new auto to old motor...