Re: [Amc-list] If you were me..

How about gearing in an '82 Spirit with 4.2L auto? I found someone who might have a Model 20 for me (from a '78 AMX he used to race) Looking to get myself some seats and gas tank too. (Figure I'll need lower gearing with the 2wd AW4 and EFI I'm going to swap in once the '87 MJ is finished later this month)
   I have waaaaay too much planned for this summer! LOL! It's too bad I didn't get rid of the '85 XJ shell last week! (I'm slowly hacking it up rather than deal with the in$pection$ to get a temporary title so I can dump it whole. )

From: Frank Swygert
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] If you were me..
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I can dream up projects with the best of them!!

The 81 Concord axle should be a 3.08 according to the TSM... nothing optional that year! Eagles with the four got a 3.54. That sure would be better! You can adapt a Toyota truck master cylinder easy enough. You'll have to adjust the push rod length, but you've got the old one to go by. The later Jeep Cherokee MC should be adaptable also. I haven't done it, but someone did tell me they used a Toyo truck MC.

81 would be the GM 2.5L. A nice upgrade would be to get the TBI unit from a mid 80s FWD car or better S-10 truck. If the engine has a dizzy that's the one you want. Around 86-87 the car went to a distributorless ignition and you can't use that -- different block.

You could use the 2.5L in either the Concord or American. The cross member interchanges. I'd keep the four speed though. The bell depth should be the same on the two, that would be the only hurdle. Of course the input shaft can be removed and shortened relatively easy and low cost by anyone with a lathe once you have the needed dimensions (take input shaft from other trans with you...).

You should be able to use the SR-4 clutch disk with the American flywheel and pressure plate, I don't think the SR-4 four cylinder disk is too big in diameter anyway. Might have to have a custom made pilot bushing, but there's a big variety made for "Jeep" sixes, so you may find one once you get the dimensions.

I think I'd fix the Concord with the EFI and use as is, then use the Gremlin drivetrain in the American. Sell the flatty to someone restoring a car, or it's very heavy for scrap. Hate to say that, but if no one needs/wants it nearby, may as well scrap it. The only things that work on the 196 OHV are the crank, rods, and timing cover/chain/gears. Oh yeah, the oil pump and filter too. I don't think 64s had the filter on the pump though. If it does, definitely save the oil pump!! Might want to save the filter base if it's on the head, no point in saving the pump unless it has the filter on it.