[Amc-list] 'Bought that busted exhaust manifold bolt - remove head, or o

[Amc-list] 'Bought that busted exhaust manifold bolt - remove head, or open check book up?

Okay, so I broke a stud when trying to remove the exhaust manifold.
One removed, one broken, the rest taunting me. At this point I'm
weighing my options:

1. Just bring the car in to an exhaust shop to get do the job right.
I'm thinking it would be difficult for a mechanic to reach the
furthest back stud (that's the one I broke) in order to drill it out
and tap it. Might have to remove the carb and a bunch of hoses to open
up room.

2. Man up - I could probably remove the carb, the intake manifold,
remove (or break) the rest of the studs, then remove the head. After
removing the head, I could bring it in to a machine shop to remove any
broken studs properly - and drill out and tap where appropriate.

I know most of the folks on this list would opt for removing the head
and bringing it to a machine shop. It doesn't look that hard, and
fixrambler.com has some snazzy pictures. So - any hints on doing this
properly? Is it a fairly straight-forward deal? Folks that have done
it before - do you have a step-by-step I could cross-reference with
the TSM?

I'm giving serious consideration to doing it myself. I'm trying to
weigh between ponying up cash to get it done, versus breaking out the
digital camera to take pics beforehand and just doing it myself. If I
do remove the head, I'd probably have a machine shop remove the stud
and tap the hole - I did take machine shop for three years in high
school - but don't have access to the tools required to do the job
right.

For those that have had exhaust manifolds and broken studs taken care
of by an exhaust shop - did they do the job to your liking, or did
they mess up your car? Would they need to remove the head anyway, or
is there a "magic" way to remove broken studs? (the stud is still
accessible - it broke just past the exhaust manifold flange)