Re: [Amc-list] axle question/eagle

" From: "Eddie Stakes" <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Well I located a rear axle from John's Auto Salvage in Seguin, Texas about
" 175 miles west of me for my 81 Eagle, 4cylinder, 4speed, which has been
" patiently waiting for a 3:54 rear axle now for over 3 months. However, John
" called back this morning and told me that 'the SX/4 is missing a axle' to
" which I told him that would basically put me back to square one and I could
" not use the thing if not complete. He said he has some 'non 4 wheel drive
" AMCs' in there and would check to see in his books what might interchange.
"
" I am totally unfamilar with what might interchange when it comes to later
" model AMCs and two wheel drive to four wheel drive. So my question would be
" what type axle would interchange, if any, with the SX/4 one he has at the
" salvage yard missing one axle? I'm sure he is going thru the Mitchell
" interchange manuals now to look but figured would toss this on here in the
" meantime.

no 2wd amc axles interchange with eagles; the eagle axles are wider
because of the deep-offset wheels.

xj cherokee axles interchange except for a shock mount on one side,
and 3.55 gears are common on 4.0/auto models.  '84-'90 d35s will have
the same 10" brakes as eagles; '91-up have 9" brakes and mopar housing
ends, so you can't swap brakes that way though there must be 10" and
even 11" mopar setups that'd swap.

on a '91-up d35 you could put the rear disks from a '94-8 zj [grand
chero]...

if all it needs is an axle shaft, why not use one of yours?