Re: [Amc-list] 1965 American front end parts - same as 68 Jav?

Re: [Amc-list] 1965 American front end parts - same as 68 Jav?

On my driver 65 440 I rebuilt the front end when I found a Scrambler behind a barn in Kenniwick. The critters had taken over the car but the front end was tight as a Counties coffers.
I took the trunnion assy, springs and steering box off to put in my American. Same with the rear end and springs.
For the bushings I went down to the local 4x4 place who are AMC friendly. I pieced together a complete poly kit by using CJ/Ford and generic sway bar stuff. The CJ, I think it was late 70s to early 80s, donated the rear bushings. The strut rod bushing came from a ford, I think Mustang, and I can't remember what the control arm bushings were from.
Take your old bushings, a caliper and tape measure, and look around. Buy plenty of grease in a big tube, not in those little punk packages.
I believe Matt has a post on his site for the spring perch bushing for the 70 and up crowd. When I ordered a set and installed them, they fit like a glove Matt, I turned around and ordered three more sets to have around.
I have driven the car with complete poly bushings for about two years with complete joy. No squeeks (again, use PLENTY OF GREASE), rattles and it is one firm riding car.
And no, nothing from the Scrambler is for sale, sorry.....Russ