[Amc-list] Care and feeding of batteries

[Amc-list] Care and feeding of batteries

I have been doing the following for years now and it serves me well. My Americans battery is the one I put in it when I bought it six years ago and it is at 3/4 use. I usually get about 8 years out of one;
-buy a quality battery (duh)
-use those little fiber washers
-battery seal on both terminals
-a plastic terminal guard over the positive term
-place pennies on the battery, Use grease to keep in place. These act as
     sacrificial annodes such as is in your water heater. Toss pennies and
    replace when they get nasty.
-always make sure you remove the neg cable first when doing any work.
-Use a large enough battery cable and clean all grounds. Check the engine
     ground for greas and retighten.
-Run an extra ground from the battery to the chassis. Yeah, I know there
     is one by the motor mount, but most are real chewed up.
These have served me well and except for the times I leave my headlights on I have noy had battery probs for about 30 plus years.....Russ