Re: [Amc-list] SCCA Solo II Night race

Ed Forrest and his son in Atlanta were running (are? will have to try to contact him!) a six cylinder Spirit with a five speed, not sure what class though. He was getting pretty competitive! It's fun if you can at least run in the middle of the pack. When he started he was at the end, but with some help from me and a couple other AMCers he got pretty competitive and was running in the top half instead of bottom quarter, and even won a couple class victories. My help was mainly in advice on driving the car -- using the six's better low end torque coming out of the turns instead of winding it up tight like a four or small V-6.

========================
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 08:19:44 -0400
From: "Bruce Griffis" <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>

My son likes to do SCCA Solo II racing, and they had a night race last
night. We headed down together - Kevin in his Miata, and me tagging
along to watch. It was really cool! The first 2 heats were in the
light (started at 6:00PM). It was dark by the time the heat my son was
in kicked off.

So what does this has to do with AMCs? Not much, although half way
through I was starting to think it would be fun to run a Spirit
through with either a 258 or a 304. My pennies are tied up in my
American, and there is no garage space - but man, it would be fun to
go thrashing through!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"