Re: [Amc-list] Days of Whine & Roses

I think that proper regulation is the answer to this, also.  Those
governments agencies pretty much all bit the dust from the years of the
Carter through the Clinton administrations (late 1970's through the
1990's.  We cannot leave the fox guarding the henhouse especially where
the resources or services are critical to the stability of our nation.
This regulation was in place before our politicians decided to relax the
grip and let those businesses run their industry and leaving trust to
the free market system.  This was our oil and gas and our transportation
and communications industries all critical to our well being.  And they
can be taken over in time of crisis and controlled by the government but
then released when the crisis is over.  Usually this is a war time
action.

The great electrical futures contract trading debacle by our Enron Corp.
which had taken control of Portland General Electric left all their
customers in the Northwest paying around twice the previous rates and
they actually bankrupted some California Utility Companies when they
needed guaranteed electric power for some periods and guess what???
Enron traders had it all sewn up and it had been cross traded until the
price was way over inflated.  This was done by futures trading
malpractices...  Guess what has been going on with crude oil.  Who owns
it all now.  The hedge funds, bankers for the crude oil futures traders.
Our major investment firms operating without the necessary oversight and
driving the prices up on the crude oil... And they have not stopped the
trading yet... Still investigating, apparently.  (This was all indicated
in recent Senate investigation hearings)

Go get them boys.  They are your congressmen, too.  Start hollering at
them.  They left the gates open on this.  They've been taking time off
and going on free trips and free power lunchs and meetings and tours at
exotic places and they haven't been buying their own tickets.

We must open our domestic resources and get some refineries going and we
don't need all the red tape and inspections and permits and all the dang
roadblocks to git it done.  Oil prices are killing our nation's
industries and throwing many of us out of work.  We must free up those
resources and refine it safely and get it in our distribution system as
soon as possible and there should be no excuses for holding things up.
We are already hurting.  Truck shippers are paying great penalty
surcharges, over 75% on volume or truckload shipments and nearly 38% on
small shipments.  Airlines are raising rates because of fuel cost and
some have tripled within the last year.  Some are just closing their
doors.

These trucking penalties have doubled in this last year.  You can look
for yourself:
http://www.abfs.com/resource/fuelsurcharge.asp?bhcp=1  This is the fuel
surcharge history and scale for fuel prices published by ABF Freight.
If you paid $100 for a load of freight hauled before, now it costs $175.
This oil pricing is costing us all, and it's costing us now. And its
going to go on until congress makes it stop and takes some remedial
action.

Why do you suppose most prices are going up and up?  That oil pricing is
affecting everything.  And when people lose their jobs most of them lose
their new homes... especially if they've been stretching their resources
to cover their payments.  Now we have housing market problems.  It's
been snowballing folks.

We have alternate fuel resources to develop also.  I guess they can get
oil out of oil shale, which I thought was some kind of rocks that we
have so much of around Wyoming and Colorado and other places.  And we
can do the same thing with coal as I understand, but maybe not as easily
and then one may produce cleaner fuel than others, and meanwhile our
inventive people can research and produce some better alternatives.
Heck, we've had pretty good electric cars in this country since the
early 1900's.  And I saw the video with the inventor dude in Florida
said he runs his car about a hundred miles on a cup of water.  That's
pretty good huh?  I suppose there's more to that story.  I did watch him
on the video light a torchs that doesn't burn his hand but yet will melt
down a rock.  He was interested in welding with it.  Looks pretty good
to me...

My Dad had his own acetylene generator back on the farm in SoDak and he
was welding with that stuff.  It's the same stuff we go to the welding
shop and buy there.  That generator worked pretty good but you had to be
careful with it and make sure the relief valve worked right.  All you
needed to run it was some calcium carbide and some water and it made all
kinds of flammable gas.  That was in the 1940's.

So there are answers out there.  I just hope the right folks get to
moving with a way out of this mess.  Some people ought to go to jail
again like in the Enron debacle.  They do a lot of harm.   We should get
after these politicians, they keep thinking they should do favors to
those backslapping lobbyists for our big businesses.

Now quit stirring me up.  I got to get my work done.  And Frank will
probably get mad at me, too.
Ralph Ausmann  -  Hillsboro, OR -

From: Frank Swygert   Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:14 AM
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Days of Whine & Roses

Of course we can't execute or prosecute someone for making a killer
profit. Nationalizing the refineries would be unconstitutional
(confiscating private property) as well, and I don't think the
government is the best entity to run them. Both prosecuting and
nationalization are not realistic -- any congressman who thinks so is an
idiot and has no idea about how a refinery or the economy in a free
country works.

What WOULD work, however, is price regulation. The government (or rather
a government body/committee) would have to approve price in creases, or
more realistically with fluctuating prices, a formula for setting
prices. Basically this would be saying "you can make only x amount of
profit". It's been done before, and some states do the same.

Electricity is cheaper in South Carolina than anywhere else I've lived.
Part of the reason is that the state itself owns or co-owns a good
portion of the generating plants, and prices are regulated. Most people
by electricity from regional co-ops. The co-ops can't raise prices
without asking the regulatory commission first, and they have to have
good reason. In the past they have sometimes raised the cost when the
increase is submitted rather than waiting, but then credit customers if
the requested increase is turned down or reduced. My electricity cost
was roughly twice what I pay now when I was in Delaware, and at least
25% cheaper than anywhere else I've lived (Idaho, Georgia, Mississippi,
Delaware, and SC... not using Japan in the comparison, utilities were
high there!).

-------------
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 01:18:59 -0400
From: Brien Tourville <hh7x@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

*Congressman Maurice Hinchey [D-NY] serves the District I live in
here in New York.
*
Rep. Maurice Hinchey (D-NY), member of the House Appropriations
Committee and one of the most-ardent opponents of off-shore drilling

We (the government) should own the refineries. Then we can control how
much gets out into the market.
--
Frank Swygert