Re: [Amc-list] Verifying Matching Numbers

Re: [Amc-list] Verifying Matching Numbers

On 5/21/2008 11:37 AM, JOE FULTON spouted this sage advice:
> Don,
>
> Matt H. on this list has documented how to date code
> some of the engine accessories.  He will probably
> chime in with specifics, but I think they are on his
> website.
<snip>

Actually, I owe a lot of what I know about the date codes to Tom Benvie.
A long time ago [in a galaxy far, far away] he posted a bunch of
information on what is date coded and where to look for them. My 67
wagon is a low enough mile car that most of the stuff on it is original.
I just took pictures.

Anywho, AMC did not stamp serial numbers into major components like GM,
Ford, and Chrysler so it can be hard to tell if you have the original
parts or not. Most parts did have a date code on them but they were
sometimes just ink stamped or painted on. Those types of markings don't
survive very well (especially if the car was freshened up or had major
mechanical work in its past).

On your car, you will have a serial number that indicates what engine it
came with, general body style, and maybe what type of carburetor. All of
that comes from the letter in it. The numbers are, of course, the serial
number and it was assigned when the order for the car was received by AMC.

The body tag (which is attached to the front drivers door under the
latch) has a lot more information. http://www.amcyclopedia.org/node/58
has a bunch of the information about how to decode the tag but that page
is incomplete. There is an unlabeled number at the bottom of that tag
that is the number assigned as the car went down the assembly line. I
haven't seen monthly break downs older than 1963 model years but
production would be pretty steady so you can estimate when it was made
by subtracting the starting number (it wasn't always 1) from what your
tag has on it and then dividing total production by 12 and figuring out
where you car fits in. This should get you within a month or so of when
your car was built. BTW, production usually started in August and I
based on the numbers I've seen for other years, there was likely a plant
shutdown in August to allow for tooling changes for the upcoming model
years.

Once you know "when" your car was made, you can compare that to the date
codes of various parts. Things like engines, transmission, and axles
typically didn't sit around but smaller parts may have been several
months old when installed.
http://www.mattsoldcars.com/1967american/date_codes.shtml is the page I
put together showing date coded stuff from my wagon.

Also, AMC didn't keep ultra-detailed records like other manufacturers
did. For example, there's no way to find out how many pink 60 Ramblers
with A/C, bumper guards, and power steering were made. Production was
typically summarized by month and sometimes by engine size within a
given line.

Matt

--
mhaas@xxxxxxx