Re: [Amc-list] Verifying Matching Numbers

Re: [Amc-list] Verifying Matching Numbers

Don,

Matt H. on this list has documented how to date code
some of the engine accessories.  He will probably
chime in with specifics, but I think they are on his
website.

The door tag also contains the model number and paint
and trim codes for your car.  The model number
information is in the TSM.  The paint codes are also
easy to find in the Technical Service Manual and are
available elsewhere like www.autocolorlibrary.com.  If
the car has been repainted you may have to lift up the
carpet or look in some other obscure area to determine
the original paint color.  The trim codes are not easy
to find unless you have access to a Trim and
Upholstery book for the model year or the Dealer
Saleman's book.  Those aren't the correct names but I
think you get the idea.

General production information (number of cars
produced by model number, how to decode the VIN
number, and the starting VIN numbers for each model
year) can be found in the Encyclopedia of American
Motors.  You can generally judge how early or late in
the model year your car was made by looking on the
door tag and noting the body number and the production
number (begins with E or W) on the bottom of the tag.

Frank Swygert has also condensed a lot of this
information in his red white and blue book which can
be purchased now.  He'll probably chime in with more
info.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA