[Amc-list] Help diagnosing 4.0 loss of compression

[Amc-list] Help diagnosing 4.0 loss of compression

my place to look would be to check the valves. had the
jeep sat for a while? tom and myself dealt with old
fuel gumming up our valves. if the cam got wiped out,
the valves wouldnt be opening, so shouldnt have
anything to do with LACK of compression i would think.

no smoke, and all of a sudden, with "pinging" sounds
to me like could be stuck valves?? pinging "valves
hitting on the pistons??" now lack of compression due
to bent stems? bad oil or fuel could cause valves to
stick.

do you have a fitting to screw into the 'plug holes
and apply air pressure in the cylinder? thats going to
tell you where your compression is going.

dave stohler
http://picasaweb.google.com/das24rules