Re: [Amc-list] SR-4/T-4 in an American

" From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" ok, so if someone can find out for sure exactly what
" would have to be done to modify/fit that adapter to
" the t96 bell, i might have to find me a t-5 NOW to get
" in my classic. then i can get that rebel rear
" end/mounting put in it. i can get the rear/trans/open
" driveline working good while i get my engine built.

i keep thinking how cool it would be to make it work with the stock
closed driveline...

keep the 2wd mainshaft but put on a 4wd extension case.  this is short
and has a big strong 6-bolt flange on the back.

take a block of aluminum and mill a 6-bolt pattern on one side and a
4-bolt pattern on the other, and a big hole through the middle for the
shaft.  optional / extra credit: seals, speedo drive, etc.

dividend: forward shifter loc that'll probably clear a bench seat.

the amc u-joints are probably a stock spicer size you can find a ford
yoke for without much trouble.

" i have one question however. the t5 is aluminum case.
" it is built to have a cross member under it in most
" apps i beleive. with the 4 point mount like in my 62
" classic, would i need to get the cross member i have
" fit under the trans?? i would worry about it with the
" adapter holding it all together. i know the t5 dont
" weigh much, but still. thats a lot of mass "hanging"
" out back of the bell with only 4 bolts.

that's not a problem, but where do the torque rods attach?  the t5
isn't made to cope with -that- kind of stress!