Re: [Amc-list] Old Gas, Kinda OT

At least on Briggs & Stratton (AMC content - they made our keys!),
that's done with cam timing (extra valve overlap).

What I'd do is pull the head and take a look at the valves. With the
head off, it will turn over very easy with the blade. Since it's just
two years old, you'll have either a blade brake or an engine brake
(likely an engine brake since blade brakes are typically just on higher
end mowers and they mostly use B&S, Honda, or Kohler on the higher end
stuff) that you'll need to tie up so you can turn the engine by hand.
Zip ties or duct tape work great for that. If you can shut it off with
the throttle and you have an engine brake, pulling that crap off and
sticking it in the trash works even better. Putting the mower deck up on
blocks on top of a work bench will make things easier to work on. If
it's a stuck valve, you'll need to tap it closed and remove the spring
(there's a special tool for that but if you get some help to hold the
valve closed, you can remove the retainer with a pair of pliers and some
light swearing). One thing to note with the valves -- not all of them
use valve guide liners. If this is the case with your mower, the guides
may be ruined. On some engines, you can get new guides but it takes a
trip to the machine shop to fix it plus parts (valves and liners). At
that point, I'd probably toss the mower unless you paid a bunch of money
for it.

 From a pure cost standpoint, the counter guy is correct. Parts are not
that expensive but labor will get you. Since you say it has a Tecumseh
engine, you probably have something like a low end Craftsman or Yard
Machine, right? The shop I go to charges $35 an hour for labor so if you
paid $150 - $200 for the mower, it doesn't take long to buy a new one.

L head mower engines are very, very simple and assuming somethings just
stuck, you could probably fix this yourself in a weekend for not much
money. You'll need head, crank case, and breather gaskets plus what ever
else is wrong. If you need to pull the carb, get an o-ring or mounting
gasket for it as well. I'd also pick up a manual (or see if Tecumseh has
them on their web site) for it since there are some end-play adjustments
and those are typically set with crank case gaskets.

Matt

On 5/5/2008 10:05 PM, Ken Ames spouted this sage advice:

--
mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH