Re: [Amc-list] Old Gas, Kinda OT

On Tue, 6 May 2008, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I personally find it very frustrationg that for all my automotive knowledge, lawnmowers and small engines are like a dark secret that I have not been able to penetrate very far!
> Anything more then plugs or a simple top off the carb to clean the dirt out leaves me scratching my head!

The first motor I really got to explore was a Briggs &
Stratton horizontal shaft 3.5HP. We had bunches of them
hauled out of the dump.  On home-made go-karts with no brakes
and no clutch -- V-belt and pulley.  An old 1-gallon paint
can propped up the drive wheel, rope pull start, rev the
crap out of it while a buddy kicked it off the paint can.
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! (kick) put put put put
putt puttt and no slowin' down for corners.

We "discovered" compression. Filed heads down. Filed
camshafts! Removed all the air ducting (dumb). Gas pipe for
muffler (loud == good). In metal shop made a "manifold" for
some junk motorcycle carb (mysteries... never ran...).

Blew off heads. Blew holes in blocks. Blew out gaskets. Burned
holes in pistons.  Broke everything. Forgot oil. Stripped
bolts. Mix'n'match parts.

Had a total blast and probably learned something, what, I'm
not sure.

AMC content: underdogs is underdogs.