Re: [Amc-list] Turbo 195.6 American...

On Mon, 5 May 2008, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> " 200hp with T4 or T5 in an early American would be very, very fun,
> " low chassis stress and still good mileage if you could get the
> " turbo to not work much at highway-OD speed. It might not even
> " break a T-96 too quickly.
>
> hmmm...  200hp at low-ish rpm means high torque...

200hp at 4000 rpm. No calcs yet for 2000, though it's not gonna
be much!

I was wrong on turbo availability, a plain old T3 will do it.

The hardest for me to quantify (or even get a seat of the pants
feel for) is heat production. Both these motors, heat in the
head is a real problem, already. But there are lots (well,
some) flat-head hot rodders that do this, and 200 peak hp is
not exactly a rocket.

I RTFM on World Class T5's, OK, I see why everyone wants
one... :-) But the cheaper low-torque-tolerant T5's would
suffice here.