Re: [Amc-list] electrical issue

Troy,

Make sure you get a TSM before you get into the electrical system too
much. The wiring diagrams and test procedures are very important to
have. Besides the TSM, the only other special tools you'll need are a
test light and volt meter. The electrical system was still pretty simple
on your car and if you're methodical, patient, and can follow
directions, you can likely find and fix the problem.

My 68 American (which also sat for a while) had a number of bad grounds
that caused weird things to happen which is what it sounds like your
problem is (at least in part). Start by locating all of the ground
connections for the lights and dash and clean everything up. That will
likely solve a lot of problems. Even if it doesn't it will reduce the
number of things that could be wrong. Another odd ball problem you can
have that will drive you nuts is a shorted out light. I had one of those
once and it made the turn signal bulbs glow dimly when I hit the brakes.

Matt

On 5/3/2008 7:07 PM, mariclairemccall@xxxxxxxxxxxx spouted this sage advice:
> The car sat for 7 years with the motor out. I put everything back in and hooked it all up. Drove it around without the turn signals a couple of days and then last night I turned on the head lamps, and that is when the problem with the volts occured. I will go through everything you guys suggested and if I can't fix it I will have my FORD buddy help me, he is used to dealing with electrical gremlins!!
>
> Troy

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com