Re: [Amc-list] (Amc-list) Davis, you ASKED why and

Re: [Amc-list] (Amc-list) Davis, you ASKED why and

Jock,
   To clarify, My partner Bill Hallock is an engineer and came up with a soloution to the problems of the oil pump 18 years ago. We were having the same problem as most with low oil pressure and poor bearing performance. Bill knew that the stock pump was not working well and that the oil system had too small of a capacity. Also the pump did not move enough volume. SO he made a deep sump pan and made the stock gear longer by sectioning in another slice from another gear. MOre capacity, more volume... But he still had the expansion issue. The stock pump is Powdered Iron and the pump housing is aluminum. 2 very different expansion coeffecients. When the engine warms up the housing expands more then the gear and the clearances are no longer in spec. This is why 40 PSI cold goes to 18 PSI hot.
   2 years later he found an alloy that has the same expansion coeffecient as the housing and had new gears made from that alloy. We have been using this setup for 16 years( not the same set nor the same motor) and have never lots a bearing twisting up to 7300 rpms on 360's and 401's. The rings and pistons wear out before the bearings, Got 8 years out of the last 401 pushing our BBO gremlin to 10.4 @ 129.
    4 years ago I began making these pumps again. I make a street kit, which is a stock replacement for a stock rebuild, and a Race kit, with longer gears and a spacer plate and provision to externally adjust your oil pressure to your particular needs. A Deep sump pan must be used with the race kit due to the larger volume of the pump requiring more oil capacity.
  The other Issue is getting the oil drained from the heads. We have found that with opening the drainbacks and polishing that area it has been sufecient with the extra capacity oil pan. If twisting to 7500 or more, or in a road race application, we reccomend adding drain back lines from the valve cover to the oil pan.
   I sell the street kit for 110.00 and the race kit for 220.00 I also offer to inspect the customers timming cover and install the kit so you are ready to go.
   If you have more questions or want to chat feel free to call me
   860-997-2732 cell
   Davis Martin
   Amc Team Racing

Jock J JocewJ Jocewicz <namdra@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Davis, I am puzzled. You said you are the one that makes the more
efficient oil pump for the AMC v-8. Plus you said you said you have not
had a bearing failure in the 16 or so years we have been using the new
pump.

My question is, how can the pump be new if it has been used for 16
years??

Maybe I am misunderstanding something here, but if you do have a great
pump, I'm sure the NAMDRA members would like to know about it, after all,
we are the performance AMC club.

Jock Jocewicz - President/Editor NAMDRA NAMDRA@xxxxxxxx or
namdra1@xxxxxxx
8537 Antioch Rd., Salem, WI 563168 (262) 843-4326
JOIN NAMDRA - the best AMC club around!!
30th. AMC NATIONALS - SEP.11-13. 2008 - CORDOVA DRAGWAY PARK
AMO#19, NAMDRA#46, AMCRC#974, NHRA#41915, IHRA#6766