Re: [Amc-list] FW: 232 CID 3.8L

Arnaldo,

First let me say I'm not a pro, only another AMC
hobbyist, but you should expect an engine to run a
little warmer than normal shortly after a rebuild
because the clearances are tight and there is more
friction than in a worn engine.

An engine is not overheating necessarily if the
temperature gauge reads a little over 1/2 way.  It may
be warmer than "normal" but there also could be a
problem with the temperature sensor or the gauge
itself.  You could diagnose the gauge to see if there
is a problem.

If the lines (scratches) on your pistons are vertical
they could be caused by dirt or debris in the engine
which entered when you rebuilt it.  Scratches on the
cylinder walls could be caused by improperly sized
rings.  Your ring clearance of .012 sounds OK to me.

I assume when you say the engine is difficult to turn
that the spark plugs have been removed.  You should
expect some resistance.  If the engine is difficult to
turn on only one part of the rotation you could have a
bent con rod or even a bent or improperly machined
crankshaft.  Or the front or rear main seals could not
be installed properly.

I would suggest you try to get the car to a
professional mechanic and let him/her assess the
engine if you are really worried about its conditon.

Good Luck,
Joe Fulton