Re: [Amc-list] Ramblings

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, Joe Smith wrote:

Check the upper trunnions. If you can get grease into the
trunnion bolt, you are very lucky! In that case, I would
loosen/remove the nut, and back out the bolt a few turns (but
not disappearing out the other side), grease while partially out,
then run the bolt back in and put the nut back on.

If you CANT get grease in it, the bolt is probably frozen;
but if you can pull it out a turn or two, NOW!! is the time to
rebuild it. You'll only need new seals (O-rings will do; I bought
a bag of 100 you can have some for free) and a thrust bearing.

If you CANT back the upper trunnion bolt out, you need to plan
on fixing that upper trunnion "soon". It will be a big PITA if
it's frozen.

Oh wait, I think you went through that on your 63? I
forget... but the backout/grease is a good test and a good life
extention, if its possible to.

I think a semi-annual back out/reinsert isa good idea on this
suspension. Cost per unit benefit is low!

> The starter on my 61 is dead.  Wonder what a new one will cost.

Nahh, cheap! It's a really common starter, surprisingly.