Re: [Amc-list] Couple of "dismantling" questions

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Frank Swygert wrote:

> 2. IIRC there are no bolts under the car. If the console has a storage compartment look in the bottom of it. There are also screws under the overlay, so remove that.  There may be a screw or two on each side between the seats also. Those would be hard to see with the seats in. But no screws under the car hold the console in.

I have no reason to believe a 65 console is anything like a 63,
but in that car the screws that mount the console to the hump
are underneath the aluminum 'cover' on top. Lift the storage
compartment door, there's screws under the front edge. A couple
of screws into the console near the heater outlet. Remove shift
knob(s), the shifter escutcheon. Couple of screws under there.

Then down inside two or four? #10-ish sheet metal screws into
the hump.

Then there is a tab on each side, at the very back of the
console, visible only when you slide the front seats all the way
forward. These were typical AMC 5/16" head sheet metal screws,
through the carpet into the pan or hump.

YMMV, but I bet it's similar enough.