Re: [Amc-list] Distributor thread

 I was the guy that started the thread on "distributor issues".
I was not asking if strapping on a distributor will gain me horsepower, I
know it won't.
It will gain me reliability and hopefully efficiency.
Actually I was asking advice on the Pro billet ready to run because my old
Mallory (old school dual point)
distributor cap is carbon tracked and doesn't provide reliable spark timing.
Mallory, in it's infinite wisdom
doesn't support this distributor with replacement parts anymore. My point
was that if Mallory fails to provide
parts for this one, who is saying they will provide parts for a different
version distributor.
So that's my position, and I'm sticking to it. ROFL
I have no choice, I have to get a new distributor, or suffer misfires
forever. Because I feel that reliability
and durability is more important that cost, I think I'm going for the Pro
Billet.
After that post the subject matter got pretty well twisted into a debate
about why you shouldn't spend money on
the most reliable type of ignition but should spend it on something that
makes power cheaply.
I've had points distributors fail at very unique moments, and I've fixed
some of them by simply removing the cap
and asking my wife for her nail file.  My family  has several cars in its
stable. All have HEI, or electronic ignition, except the Javelin.
One vehicle has 160,000 miles on it and had the plug wires replaced twice,
no other service.  The electronic ignition systems have never been touched.
On the other hand, the original distributor in the 70 Javelin has had many
sets of points, been replaced fully with a dual point,
(needed a new distributor because the bearings got loose in the original and
didn't provide reliable spark timing), and now the
dual point needs replacing. the Javelin has just over 105,000 miles on it.
OH, it's been through several sets of plug wires too!
In my opinion, I would like to ditch the distributor all together and use a
crank trigger setup, or go to a distributorless, all electronic with out a
distributor cap to carbon track. To me reliable is cool.......... along with
lots of horsepower and a bit of bling.....LOL

and thanks to everyone who got charged up on this subject and provided all
of us with real world experiences from their life that we can all base our
own decisions on about ignition systems. This list has got some of the
coolest old school and new school guys anywhere.
Armand