Re: [Amc-list] general mumblings

> If I was a younger more ambitous man I'd knock the whole thing apart one more time.
> Toss in the 258 crank and rods, but honestly it doesn't need them.
> The 242 does just fine.
> Still got 10 cu ins over the 242 with a better head and EFI.
> Course 265 or is it 275/ would be more fun....

Today I accidentally pulled out of the gas station in 3rd,
instead of first. The 1-R/2-3 Twin Stick gate is about 1/2"
of sideways stick motion, it's easy to do.

In that split second I thought, 'damn carb, that off-idle flat
spot is getting worse' then realized what I'd done.

Didn't bother to downshift to 2nd.

Old, heavy, gutlless motor, but it's got torque in weird
places! I have never, ever heard it ping, and I've got it
advanced to 10 degrees static instead of 7, stock. Slightly
softer mech advance spring too.

I'll photograph this 195.6 OHV block sitting in my lab on its
pallet.  Man, is it old fashioned! You can easily picture the
wooden mold it's made from. Everything is perfectly rectangular,
nearly everything is square-edged, like even the detailing
inside the cam-follower access cover. The ledge that collects
oil for the cam followers is square. With a square lip. Round
holes for the oil to fall to the pan though. There's not a
modern idea within 6 feet of this motor.  What fun!