Re: [Amc-list] general mumblings

From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >   I need to get the 15W-40 out of it! as I let it run till hot and hot idle
> was at 62psi! That's way overkill.
>
> (I better check mine...)

Yours will be fine!
I was given a Factory Jeep/Chrysler Hivolume pump when I got the pile of 4.0L stuff for free.
So I used it.
It's overkill.
No one recomends such a pump in the six!
The shortblock in mine has probably a max of 8,000 miles on it and it seems they got things right.
With 10W-40 it ran about 45 psi hot.
Not sure why the 15W-40 makes this much difference but does.

If I was a younger more ambitous man I'd knock the whole thing apart one more time.
Toss in the 258 crank and rods, but honestly it doesn't need them.
The 242 does just fine.
Still got 10 cu ins over the 242 with a better head and EFI.
Course 265 or is it 275/ would be more fun....

I was reading up on the 4.7L V-8 in my WJ.
The stinking thing weighs less then 500lbs!
It's about 450 IIRC.

That would be fun!
I guess the Hemi overshadowed that engine too much as it realy is good perforing engine for what it is.
No one pays any attention to it at all.
I drive it everyday, nice and tame.
Gets about 17-18mpg in an all wheel drive Grand Cherokee.
Get in a hurry and drop the go pedal and it wakes up in a hurry!
First time my son drove it he hit the gas like he does in the 4cyl Altima.
Scared the crap out of him!
With all wheel it just chirps the tires and lunges forward.

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV