Re: [Amc-list] OT:Follow the directions

--- Sandwich Maker <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> traction control and abs are already leaching
> critical thinking from
> our drivers.  car talk had a caller a few weeks ago,
> not a youngster
> iirc, who said his volvo [sic] vibrated when he
> stepped on the brakes,
> but only on snow and ice, and he asked how did it
> know?  to their
> credit, they replied right off that it was his abs,
> and if it was
> happening he was driving way too fast.
>
> traction control will teach drivers to treat the
> accelerator like an
> on/off switch too.

I was re-reading an old Hemmings MM mag last night,
particularly the aricle about the LAPD training
center.  The LAPD was evaluating the latest Mopar cop
car entry (Magnum?) with the Hemi and although they
liked the power of the engine, they were very leery of
the traction control.  They did not want the computer
taking over during extreme maneuvers during a pursuit.
 They wanted the officer (driver) to have total
control and would train him/her on that basis.  I
don't know if Mopar ever submitted a formal entry.
This was just a test car.

Joe Fulton