Re: [Amc-list] OT:Follow the directions

--- russ hathaway <russh97309@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The moral of the story is; The more I see cars being
> built today the more I dig my 40 year old
> AMCs.....Russ

I generally agree.  I do understand why mechanics are
called technicians today.   To GM's credit the
diagnostic "tree"  in the TSM was very complete and if
I had used it correctly and completely the first time,
I would not have wasted $139 on that relay.  I can't
express the relief I felt when I found that broken
wire.  I knew then that I would not have to drill out
the rivets and replace that window motor.  What a pain
that would be.  But other repairs on the car had not
been simple.  Replacing a freeze plug on the back of
the 3.1L engine without pulling the engine, was a
major chore.

But that Eagle wagon I just dismantled had an absolute
rat's nest of vacuum hoses, one way valves and vacuum
switches.  If one has the right tools, (e.g., code
reader, multimeter, and special tools) the later cars
would be easier to service that those "transition"
systems on the 80s cars.

Joe