[Amc-list] OT:Follow the directions

Well, I have been working on the 94 Olds Cutlass that
I sold to my neighbor.  He complained that I didn't
tell him that the driver's window (power window)
didnt' work before he bought the car.  He test drove
it with a friend of his and evidently didn't discover
it in the test drive, so he complained about it and I
agreed to fix it.  Lesson learned:  Never sell a car
to a person who will keep it in the same neighborhood.
 It's a used car for Pete's sake.

I had purchased the huge (4 inches thick) Olds TSM and
had done much of the diagnotics, and I was convinced
it needed a new window relay module.  I didn't want to
trust a junkyard module so I forked over $139 to the
GM dealer (no possible refund on electrical parts BTW)
and bought the module.  It did not solve the problem.

So today I did the rest of the diagnostics and was
really dreading having to replace the window motor
whick seemed like the next logical solution. But I
plodded through the decision tree in the book and
checked everything at least twice.  The problem turned
out to be a broken wire in the window power circuit.
The broken wire was INSIDE a wiring bundle where the
wires pass through the door into the car body.  I was
so relieved when I found it.  I'll finish the repair
tomorrow and button everything up.  I don't ever want
to see that car again.....ever.

Today I also picked up my last conrod from the machine
shop for the 195.6 OHV engine I am building.  The
machinist had requested that I bring the rods in
because of the previous poor machine work on the crank
(by some other shop).   He wanted to make sure that I
would have the basis for a good build.  I had taken
only five rods to him because I thought he had checked
the sixth rod when he installed the new piston to
replace one I damaged in removing the rings.

All systems are now GO for the engine build.  I can
get back to AMC projects.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA