[Amc-list] My new oil pump adapater but no oil pressure

[Amc-list] My new oil pump adapater but no oil pressure

I recently purchased a new oil pump adapter for my 67 Rebel 290 V8 which was recently overhauled last year.  I wanted to rid of the old original near 90 degree flow oil adapter.  I am aware that the new 45 degree flow will increase oil pressure from the old AMC plague, lack of oil pressure.  I even went as far as putting a new oil pump gear/pump on with proper clearance, as well for the new adapter to make it all complete. Unfortunately I had it all together, I wasn't aware of having to prime the adapter with oil.  The engine knocked for 5 seconds, I turned it off, turned over again, knocked again.  So, no oil pressure.  I then took the adapter off again, filled the adapater with oil, including the oil filter w/oil.  I found this out after googling amc engine oil pumps (gear type).  Now I'm paranoid.  WIll it work?  I am very hesitant to turn over the engine again.  Is there anything else I need to do or I can do to ensure this new gear and oil adapter will start up with the
 proper oil pressure without ruining my engine?  Any additional advice?  Jayson