Re: [Amc-list] My two cents on oil weights

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008, David Crooks wrote:

> I'll through my two cents in here, which is about twice what they're
> worth!

I'm with you on all points.

> The same theories hold true in Trany oil.  The old school was 90w, but
> a lot of trany's are now calling for standard engine oil.  You have to
> read the specs.  You can kill a trany that needs 30w by putting 90w
> into it, and the opposite is true as well.

The funny thing here is, the AMC TSM for 1963 says "30 weight
engine oil or 90 weight gear oil". THat's quite a range. I
could probably mash a stick of butter in the hole and it would
work. It's a...  let's say... low stress environment. What,
200 ft/lbs flat out max?

>  And if
> you do the math, a few more oil changes over the life time cost of the
> vehicle is chump change.

Not if you drive your cars into the ground and never open the
hood :-) Me, I change all fluids "too often". Oil's cheaper'n
motors.