From: Frank Swygert [mailto:farna@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 10:12 AM
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx; d stohler
Subject: [Amc-list] 196 oil filter

AMC chose an off the shelf filter for the 196. Unfortunately it's an
industrial engine filter, not a standard car filter. An oil filter is an
oil filter though, so that's not an issue (yes, I know there's lots of
variations in quality and performance, but I'm not getting into that!).
The only engines currently using that filter, specifically the size and
pitch of the threads, that I know of are refrigeration units on
semi-truck refer trailers. You might find a filter at a truck stop, but
none of the chain stores will have them in stock unless they cater to
the local truck stops. Typically CarQuest and NAPA do that, but Advance
and AutoZone don't. They can order filters for you though. May as well
order several at a time, but remember that you only use about one a year
(some people two, depending on how much you drive -- I typically changed
the oil in my 196 twice a year when I was using the car for
transportation and averaging 7K a year on it).

According to the AMCRC 63 "Rambler Guide" (you might want to get one!!),
the following oil filter number fit the 196 cast iron OHV and L-head
engines (the 199 and 65 196 w/filter on oil pump use the same as the
199/232/258/4.0L).

AC P-3
Lee LF-3
Motorcraft FL-3
United U-4L
Fram PB-50
Purolator PER-3, PER3M
Wix 51050

Those are just the more common brand names, there are lots of others in
the "Rambler Guide", but many (like a Wizard R-5850) aren't available
any more. Apparently Checker (probably when they used Continental
engines), Fiat, Isuzu, Studebaker, GM, and Kaiser (again -- Continental
engines) used them at one time. The Isuzu and GM applications are
probably refer trailer engines or similar industrial engines.

-----------
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 18:10:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>

after being that hot, i now need to go get some new synthetic oil and
drain/refill. i don't change my oil filter but once every other oil
change since it filters so little oil. plus the only place i have been
able to find the oil filter to fit that car, there are none of those
parts stores here. carquest was the only place i could find one, and
that was a carquest brand.
does anyone have another brand and part # that i can get at these chain
stores that have "IDIOTS" behind the counter that think just cause its a
rambler, they don't carry nothin for it??

dave stohler

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"