[Amc-list] Rambler Kustom Xr4Ti - Chop_Cut_Rebuild -

[Amc-list] Rambler Kustom Xr4Ti - Chop_Cut_Rebuild -

I know your speculating, but.
When sectioning a car body, to get a good job out of it you have to do the cut centered on the widest part of the car where ever that may be.....
  It's usually in the right area anyway.
What you do is find the widest section then mark 1.5" above and 1.5" below that point and cut.
That way when you drop the top down it is the same width as the bottom.
You can fudge a little, but if you get too far away from this section of the body you will be in for a lot of hassles.

Not withstanding the incredible amount of work sectioning a body is anyway :]
If you do this, well you will be in for a LOT of work....
Measure twelve times, cut once....or twice.

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV

..

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>

> > Well, it's going in a Rambler, so while it's a bit "sacriligous" it's not
> > exactly off topic. My original idea was to take an old beat up (might be too
> > beat and rusted now!) 62 American two door sedan I have and make a roadster out
> > of it. Cut the roof off, weld the doors shut for a seamless side (and fenders to
> > doors), and install a six point roll cage w/front and rear braces inside below
> > the top of door line to beef it back up. Inside would be aluminum panels on the
> > sides and bedliner in the floors with drain holes, with Wrangler all-weather
> > seats, a real bare-bones interior. Probably no rear seat. I'd leave the roll up
> > side windows in the doors and the vent windows. No chop in the windshield.
> > Tonneau cover for the rear, with a split front half so I could snap it over the
> > passenger seat when riding alone.

..

My favorite is the long nose_short deck configuration 2dr. - sectioned & channeled.

Sectioning whacks out length - channeling whacks out height, by either shortening
the bottom of exterior sheet metal & boxing inner floor perimeter
so as to lower the shell down_over_around a rail style frame, or whacking out sheet metal
from the middle of the exterior panels & firewall all way round to narrow the
shell.

Many of the better channeled Kustoms I've studied take the panel metal out in
a wedge shape:  less metal at the front - more metal from mid to back in subtle
fashion.

Rambler Kustom:

Beginning with a 4 door sedan, put a front seat where the rear seat is,
just forward of the rear package shelf - leaving enough space
where one could install a manual convertible top - or power top
when found at the right price, by removing the rear shelf panel.

Create the doors by grafting the front quarter sections of the front
doors to the rear doors, making them the usable 2 doors for the Kustom.

Then whack that door length out of the floor & roof between the door post & B pillar,
drawing the two sections together - install the doors.

The rear wheel wells are then moved back to lengthen the wheelbase & balance the overall
look.

Brace the shortened floor & whack off the roof.

Then channel the car to suit for effect when required.

Sounds like a lot of work, but the specialty  butt welded panels via
a low heat Tig trick is finding a skillful friend to do that for you.

You do the chore work & set up the shell by spot welding it together readying for
the Tig buttwelding job.

My 'Dream'project would utilize one of the '57_'58 4dr. Chrysler Wing Cars & their 300c
nose treatment.

The Fins would begin from the leading edge of the front doors and extend upward dramaticlly in this version.

I'd perhaps shorten and sink the trunk lid - kicking it forward & add inner Fin skin material from
a donor.. wish I had Mad Photoshop Skills!!

In the meantime I'll just rattle_can these rust spots & call it a day.

--

    =Bt=
milnersXcoupe