Re: [Amc-list] Disc Brake set-ups for 69 Javelins?

Re: [Amc-list] Disc Brake set-ups for 69 Javelins?

Any amc disk brake setup from 71 up thru 80's ( EXCEPT PACER and EAGLE) will retro fit your car. Just be sure to get everything from the spindle bolts out. I have 82 concord setup on my 72 gremlin. The calibers are 15 bucks ea new and the rotors are 40.00 ea. Under 200 bucks and you have new calipers, rotors, bearings and seals.
   For 600 or so bucks Mike Luke in Ohio carries a nice aftermarket lightweight billit setup for amc too as an alturnative.
   Davis

Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  You must have sent this to the wrong address, messages for the AMC-List
need to go to amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx I'll forward to the list, but I
have an answer here for you as well.

You have the old Bendix four piston calipers and solid rotors. They are
expensive to replace, as you found out. The place you read about the
91-94 Ford Town Car/Crown Vic rotors is the AMC Forum, here's a link:
http://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3295.

Kelsey-Hayes single piston calipers (71-75) were used, replacing the
factory rotors. You will also need a set of front drum brake hubs from
any AMC. The drums come off the hubs. Your Bendix calipers won't work,
and I'm not sure if any other calipers will bolt onto the Bendix mount.
Wilwood (http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-Calipers/index.asp) has
mounting diagrams for all their brakes. Something like a Dynalite would
be good. The mount bolt holes are 3.50" apart. You will need to find the
bolt hole radius as well. There's a chart with different rotor diameters
that gives the radius you need. It doesn't have to be exact, but should
be close. They might use the old Bendix pattern, you'll just have to
check. Then it's just a matter of getting the right caliper for the
diameter and thickness of the Ford rotor. The caliper may have to be
shimmed out on the mount to fit, of the mount points ground down. The
caliper must be near centered on the rotor, exact is preferred, but the
caliper will self adjust to small differences.

An easier way to fix the problem for under $400 with new parts is to
order a kit from www.scarebird.com. I *think* the spindles for drum and
disc brakes are the same for the early 66-70 discs. If not you may have
to locate 68-70 Javelin or Rebel front drum brake spindles. The American
spindle is slightly different and the seal adapter doesn't work right. I
know -- most people think the Javelin and American would use the same
spindle since the Javelin is based on the American and uses the same
suspension, but AMC used the big car spindle on the Javelin, probably to
give it a bit more track width.

If there is a salvage yard with any 79-83 Spirits, Concords, or Pacers
in it you can get everything from the steering knuckle out and bolt it
on in place of your old disc brakes. The same with any 71-78 brakes, but
new rotors are getting expensive and harder to find for those too. Pre
79 rotors are usually around $100 each. The big cost on you 70 brakes is
the calipers, not the rotors.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"