Re: [Amc-list] "Transmission" rebuild... yeah right!

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008, Frank Swygert wrote:

> The isolation link in the clutch linkage can be replaced
> with a piece of industrial belting (best) or a piece cut from
> the sidewall of a tire. A chunk of steel plate like you did
> works too, but might introduce a bit more wear in the pivots
> and such.

I think tire would stretch too much, belting would be great. But
it's next to the exhaust... I use thin steel, since it's in
tension, and semi-flexible. I imagine it will develop stress
cracks eventually. It's one of those subtle things, where an
organic material (resined canvas?)  beats everything else.

> I try to fix/clean/replace any and everything that looks like it's been on my car for a long time when I have some part taken apart for maintenance too. "don't fix it if it ain't broke" means you better have friends, a cell phone, and a credit card when you get stranded. Preventive maintenance means you can have reasonable confidence that you can get in and drive anywhere.

Exactly! No sense doing jobs twice. It's one thing on a 10 year
old car where parts are everywhere... quite another when parts are
mailorder! And who likes roadside breakdowns?!