----------------
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 19:35:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

OK, with this car I've entered a new world of car wrenching. Used
to be, I was just some nut with Ramblers; they're old, but
familiar and you can just drive them.

But now I'm wrenching on antiques, actual antiques, like when
I was a kid people did with Model A's, only those were at least
popular. Then again, we have the internet...

<snip>

I'd set the driveshaft aside early, and totally forgot to
check the U-joints. The front was OK since it was bathed in
transmission lube (one good feature that comes with a leaky
rear seal). THe rear was rattley loose. (I called NAPA, the
guy said too quickly "not available". I'd said out of habit
"Rambler AMerican" and the idiot didn't say anything like "we
have no listing for Rambler" which I'd excuse young people for,
he said "not available". I looked it up myself, online, called
back, they'll be here tomorrow. Unless he lied to me...)

So everything else is completely together, so I filled the
trans with Mobil1 15W-50 synthetic, and started it up. Took
some pedal-flapping as it's been a month, carb went dry. Slight
tick... went away in 60 seconds.

Went through all the gears (no driveshaft), everything OK (no
rotating parts grinding the bellhousing, etc). But no (clutch)
pedal! The pushrod is at the end of it's adjustment.

It's that @#@#$@#!! inner clutch bellcrank pivot, that weird
thing made out of fabric. I knew it was gonna fail... it was
mostly torn through. It stretches over 1/2" with pressure,
preventing full pushrod travel.

I'd tried to fix this thing earlier, but put it back together
instead.  It's a really odd part, the fabric is in tension
when you press the clutch pedal, and it kinda goes around the
bellhousing. It's complex. So I put it back together.

Now, having no choice, I simply replaced it with a piece of
3/32" steel sheet. Simple! Got all my adjustment range back,
pedal came up.

<snip>

I took the big-nut coupler all apart, cleaned, inspected, and
photographed it. It's nothing mysterious, it's simply a splined
slightly tapered sleeve/yoke, slit so that it can be compressed
by the big nut.  It's no big deal, I don't know what all the
noise is. I expect no troubles with it going back in.

<snip>

After this though, I'll have 100% confidence in the entire
chassis, it'll be like-new. When I rebuild the engine/build
a replacement, and do the rear wheel bearings, I'd drive it
anywhere any distance.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"