----------------
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:05:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>

well, i think i blew another head gasket tonight. i
now live in eastern oregon. 45 miles from town. i went
to visit my parents this afternoon. took casper (62
classic) for a drive. 45 miles further from town also.
so they live 90 miles from town. was headed home at
about 10:45 tonight, and got about 3 1/2 miles from
their house, and what do you know, i got steam blowing
from under the hood, and tem gauge says 225.(mech
water and oil gauges added for cheap insurance) water
was BOILING hard. someone stopped, gave me a ride back
in to town. (if you want to call it a town, a small
motel, c-store, my parents own both, and only about 50
people) got a couple gallons of water, drove it back
in to town, and temp gauge shot back up by the time i
was back in town from about 115 up to 200. it did that
same thing last time i blew the head gasket. this one
has been less than a  year, and only about 4000 miles.
last time, temp got up to 275 (summertime) and didnt
appear to damage the head or block. tossed a new
gasket on and it was fine. i think i did it again.
does anyone know of a source for new head bolts?? i
wonder if that has a lot to do with this "retorque"
deal with them? it SHOULDNT need retorqued yet should
it? i think frank says 2 years or 10,000? also, the
stupid throttle decided to stick on the way back in to
town. thats not fun when that happens. so, i guess i
have to get another gasket ordered. maybe i should see
if i can get a discount for ordering in BULK???
getting irritated with this issue. cant wait till my
304 is built.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"