Re: [Amc-list] GRRR 196 HEADGASKET AGAIN....

Re: [Amc-list] GRRR 196 HEADGASKET AGAIN....

This your 195.6 OHV?

TSM says check at 4K miles, thats what I will do until I have
this or another engine built so that I can know it well! It
takes 20 minutes to do... and just pokin' under the hood is
good intimate time, you get to see problem before they develop...

If you ran it once to 275 degrees water temp, I bet hot spots
were really bad and now it's warped at least. I'd pull the head,
have it checked for cracks, and flatness. Check the block too.

No amount of wishing, or monthly gasket changes, will fix
built-in problems, your better off parking it than ruining it
beyond rebuldable.

Why is it getting so hot in the first place?!! That motor's got
about 2 gal of coolant, 500lbs of cast iron, and a hp per unit
mass ratio not much better than a Model A! No (designed in)
reason for it to get that hot. Check spark timing and radiator...

Man, good luck with it! I don't mean to harsh on you in times
of trouble Dave, just hate to see it get worse now that you're
in a pinch.

If there's no cracks, you can probably limp home if you re-gasket
it (with extra sealant! :-), fix the cooling problem, and take
it super easy on the motor, like 40 up hills... better slow
home than not home!

Remember, think like it's 1945, regarding maintenance, and
you'll be close to what that motor wants!