-----------
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:12:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

>  Also, when torqueing - you back off the bolt a little bit first, then
torque it, right?

I didn't/don't. I have little experience with this motor and the
head-donor in the 'yard... mine, I took the head offwithout checking
torque, but they were all fairly tight and even enough. When I retorqued
it a few months later it was all tight (none budged).

The junkyard donor -- that had the ventilated block -- now when I took
those head bolts out, the torques were all over the place! About half of
them were LOOSE! "Snug", but definitely not 40 or 60 ft/lbs (whatever
the TSM says it is).

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"