Re: [Amc-list] T-96 transmission assembled

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Frank Swygert wrote:

> So you figured out the rubber band trick! An alternate is
> to coat the hub with vaseline and stick the rollers in. Thick
> enough to stick them there, but easily dissolves with a little
> heat, and no problem with it in the gear lube.

Grease doesn't work in this instance, because the freewheel
rollers are in a spring-mounted cage; once the rollers are
inserted, you have to rotate the cage CCW for the rollers to
fall into their slots (smallest diameter) so that the drum fits
over them.

The rubber band has to have enough tension to hold the rollers
into their slots, and overcome the cage spring. The condom
band wasn't enough; I had to use a length of big rubber band,s
tretched into a "wedge" between the cage and planet carrier; once
I got the drum started I pulled out the 2nd rubber string. The
condom bit will get ground up and dissolve in the oil.

I took photos of every assembly step (except OD housing install;
I forgot! but that's easy).